Athens Area School District
Canton Area School District
Northeast Bradford School District
Sayre Area School District
Sullivan County School District
Towanda Area School District
Troy Area School District
Wyalusing Area School District
Student Admission Procedures
“In today’s challenging job environment, it is more critical than ever before that our young people complete their high school education with strong academic and technical skills that prepare them for college-level studies and successful careers. We believe this foundation will allow them to succeed personally and also make a valuable contribution to an innovative and competitive Pennsylvania economy. Building this foundation is what the new Pennsylvania Career and Technical Education (CTE) system is all about. CTE in Pennsylvania is designed to meet a dual mission — developing students with College Readiness skills AND a Career Path. CTE is no longer an either/or choice, but a “BOTH/AND” opportunity for student success.”
Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of Career and Technical Education
In accordance with the Combined Articles of Agreement of Establishment and Operation, “Each participating school district shall be responsible for the selection of pupils to attend the school in conformity with pupil admission policies and procedures established by the Professional Advisor Council and approved by the Joint Committee.”
In accordance with Board Policy 201, “All students and parents/guardians residing in participating school districts shall be informed of the students’ right to participate in vocational technical programs and courses and that students with disabilities are enrolled in the center’s programs are entitled to special education services and programs.” In pursuit of this goal, all eligible students from participating districts will have the opportunity to participate in a presentation by NTCC staff and tour the facility prior to making course selections for the following school year.
- Students will indicate interest in NTCC programs of study during the course selection process at their high schools.
- The following will be taken into consideration when selecting students for admission to NTCC:
- Interest and aptitude in program of study.
- Post-secondary educational and career path goals related to program of study.
- Indicators of academic success, including GPA, test scores, and math and reading levels necessary for completing competencies in the program of study.
- Indicators of employability potential, including attendance and discipline records.
- Ability to benefit from career and technical education by mastering core competencies of the program of study, as assessed by NOCTI or other state-approved assessment.
- A reasonable expectation of completing the program of study, passing the end-of-program assessment, and graduating from high school.
- Ability to use initiative, self-direction, and self-discipline in an individualized, competency-based learning environment that simulates the workplace and is thereby structured differently from the traditional high school classroom.
- The process of enrollment for students with disabilities is the same as that used for students without disabilities. Enrollment for students who have an IEP will be determined by the IEP team in accordance with the guidelines provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Education Bureau of Special Education. “Understanding Career and Technical Education and Special Education: What IEP Teams Need to Know” June 2016
- If a student is considering attending a program of study at NTCC, the representative from NTCC must be invited to participate as a member of the IEP team, as required by Pennsylvania School Code (Chapter 339.21(5)(6)).
- The decision to enroll in a program of study will be determined by the IEP team, including the student. The team bases their decision on a review of the competencies, requirements, task lists, curricula, and task requirements and determining a match between these and the results of assessment of the student’s interests and aptitudes.
- The following will be taken into consideration by the IEP team:
- Ability to meet present levels of education in the program of study at NTCC.
- Whether specially-designed instruction, modifications and accommodations will enable the student to be successful in gaining employment or continuing to post-secondary education in a field related to the program of study at NTCC.
- When considering placement of a student in general education with supplementary aids and services, this includes program of study at NTCC. Northern Tier Career Center. (June 28, 2012). Board policy 201: admission/selection of students. Norther Tier Career Center. (As Amended November 8, 2005).Combined articles of agreement of and Technical Education and Special Education: What IEP Teams Need to Know (PaTTAN Publication).Pennsylvania Department of Education Bureau of Career and Technical Education. (n.d.). Retrieved from
- Pennsylvania Department of Education Bureau of Special Education. (June 2015). Understanding Career
- establishment and operation.
Carl D. Perkins Act – Funding provided by the Carl D. Perkins Act allows NTCC to provide services to all students with an emphasis on providing services to students of special populations. http://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/K-12/Career%20and%20Technical%20Education/Perkins/Perkins%20Local%20Plan%20Funding%20Guidelines.pdf